I’ve been dreaming up this program for years and once I visited Pico Bonito in Honduras, I knew it had to happen there. My first sketching holiday was a sold-out hit so I’m excited to bring it back to you again! My goals are to inspire you to look more deeply and empower you to sketch more freely. I can’t wait to meet you in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
- Luxurious accommodations at the Lodge at Pico Bonito, with your own private cabin, veranda, and hammock.
- Daily workshops and presentations; learn about sketching tools and techniques and local natural history.
- Visit Cuero y Salado Coastal Wildlife Refuge by train and boat through mangrove estuaries to view monkeys, crocodiles, blue morpho butterflies and myriad wetland birds.
- Visit Rio Santiago Nature Resort; the “Hummingbird Capital of Honduras.”
- Private naturalist-led hikes; stroll through the rainforest jungle with English-speaking Lodge guides.
- 400 acres of tropical flora; orchids, bromeliads, hibiscus, heliconia, and much more, right on the property.
- Over 100 species of easily seen tropical birds; oropendolas, parrots, woodpeckers, motmots, toucans, trogons, tanagers, and up to 15 species of tropical hummingbirds. Birds will regularly visit the Lodge’s easily observed fruit and nectar feeders, practically posing for your pencil and paintbrush!
- Plenty of free time; opportunities for daily private reflection and relaxation. Options include: swimming in the pool or rivers; sitting on the lodge deck sipping a beverage and watching hummingbirds whiz by, or exploring the lush gardens and trails on your own. Or, you may choose to simple snooze in your private hammock, enjoying the exotic sounds of the jungle.
- Conservation Funding: a portion of the proceeds will support habitat conservation in the region.
- Space is limited to a maximum of 8 participants for a high quality and intimate experience!
Bonus #1: Your trip fee includes Christine’s new online course, Introduction to Nature Sketching, which comprises eight modules through which you can progress at your own pace, either before the retreat or anytime afterwards. It covers basic skills for sketching plants and birds in the field, taught using video tutorials and downloadable ebooks. This course normally sells for $125, but trip participants receive it for free!
Bonus #2: You'll also get a field sketching kit like the one Christine uses; complete with pencils, pen, brush,watercolors, journal and sturdy recycled carrying bag (value $75) .
ABOUT YOUR LEADER
You’ll study with professional naturalist, teaching artist, and biological illustrator, Christine Elder. Her experience as a freelance illustrator includes projects for organizations such as the National Park Service and the Botanical Society of America. Christine has been teaching people of all ages and ability levels to draw and paint nature’s wonders for over twenty years. Christine has led bird sketching workshops at birding festivals in Jamaica and Mexico and is a frequent arts instructor in her home state of Oregon. Christine is also a frequent co-leader of other Paradise Birding tours, having traveled from Alaska to Florida, and to international destinations such as Borneo, Italy, Honduras, and the Caribbean. In Honduras, she will share her best secrets and techniques for sketching birds and blossoms in pencil, pen and watercolor.